About the Friends of Cumberland Mountain
Mission Statement: Friends of Cumberland Mountain State Park (FSMCP), Inc is a 501c3 non-profit group. It is an organization wholly devoted to and existing solely for the purpose of providing assistance in the preservation and improvement of Cumberland Mountain State Park. All organization revenues are returned to the Park to support exhibits, programs, and cultural and conservation projects of CMSP.
The friends group allows members to give something back to the park that will last a lifetime – a treasured gift for your children and generations to come. Become a part of Cumberland Mountain State Park Friends Group and help us work to promote and increase public interest in the park, assist in activities such as trail work and design, provide exhibits, and much more.
Cumberland Mountain State Park Friends Group Board of Directors
VACANT – President
Connie Bowman – Treasurer
Laurie Snyder – Secretary
Monica Johnson – Website Editor
In 2016, Volunteer Electric Cooperative granted the Friends Group 1,200 dollars to replace the old tables in the Recreation Lodge.
In 2014, Park Ranger Monica Johnson applied for the Department of Health Diabetes Grant in which we received. The grant was a two year grant, that gave us 15,000 dollars for 2014 and 2015. The grant was written to purchase new boating equipment at our boat dock, and to encourage exercise through boating activities. The Friends Group was able to purchase kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, PFD’s, paddles, replacement parts, and a kayak/canoe trailer. The grant also allowed the Friends Group to hire one employee to work at the boat dock for one summer. The Friends Group was critical in acquiring this equipment by providing the funds immediately for each purchase. When a vendor could not wait for reimbursement by the State, the Friends Group could pay the invoice, and receive funds later.
Also in 2014, Park Ranger Monica Johnson had vision and dream to build an aviary for the park’s injured/educational birds, but needed the funds to do it. The Friends Group helped raise over 10,000 dollars to fund the project. This project was successful due to Aden Mathis (Eagle Scout), Park Ranger Monica Johnson, Friends Group fundraisers, volunteers, and generous donations from locals and people from surrounding counties. We have since contributed four months food supply for the aviary birds; 1,200 dollars worth of food with that amount growing as more donations come in.
In 2012, the Friends Group alongside Cumberland Mountain State Park Ranger’s entered a Christmas float in the annual City of Crossville Christmas parade. The Friends Group won 1st place for best decorated non-profit organization float, and received 100 dollars.
Since 2006, FCSMP have purchased with membership monies:
* Bird cages
* Fishing boat motors, batteries, and life jackets for the boat dock area
* Fall decorations
* Christmas lights for the CCC bridge
* Bird seed for the feeder below the park restaurant
* DVD players for the cabins
* Movie screen at the amphitheater
* Historic Marker by the CCC bridge
* Wood border around the playgrounds
* TV & DVD player at the restaurant
* Leaf blower & chainsaw backpack for maintenance
* Framing for historic pictures display at the restaurant
* Sports equipment for tennis, volleyball, and basketball courts
* Craft supplies for summer programs
Programs Supported by FCMSP
Family-oriented events are a major source of our donations, along with wood sales and membership fees. Funding and/or volunteers are provided for the following:
* Wings to Soar & NHECM – educational bird and animal programs – Friends Group provide funding
* Kite Day – Friends Group Event – Members/Volunteers assist Park staff
* Easter Egg Hunt – Members/Volunteers assist Park staff
* Junior Ranger Camps – Members/Volunteers serve snacks daily & provide the banquet dinner
* July 4th activities – Friends Group provides funding
* Trunk or Treat – Friends Group hotdog fundraiser dinner – Members/Volunteers
* Christmas on the Plateau – Members/volunteers provide cookies and hot chocolate